Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Livin' la vida loca...

On Saturday I was able to go to a couple friend's wedding. I was so glad because it was pretty iffy that I would be able to. But I was and had a great time. Congrats guys! Well while I was there Scott mentioned something about he was glad I was able to get out because the last couple of blogs have been such downers. Not his exact words. I have paraphrased. I was thinking that they have been and it's kinda sad but that's my life now. And on Sunday it was another one of "those" kinds of days.

The day started quietly enough with going back to the bedroom to catch some extra zzz's after spending the night on the couch. When I got up again I discovered that grandma decided not to go to church that day. She did go back to her room to lay down when I got up. Grandpa was having some problems with drainage from his nose sticking around in the back of the throat. Because of the Parkinsons he couldn't cough hard enough to really move it and he was having problems swallowing. I ran out to the store real quick to get a nasal syringe and when I got back I found out grandma had called 911. I could hear the sirens coming down the street as I went in the house. They followed me in not long after that. Thankfully grandma's pastor came over soon after so she was able to keep grandma calm as I tried to fill in the firefighter getting grandpa's info. A short while after that we were in the ambulance on our way to Castle ER. Then the 20 questions started again. Also thankfully grandma was able to get a ride from Pastor and by the time she showed up grandpa was pretty settled. Then the waiting began. There's alot of hurry up and wait involved with the ER's I've found. By 4:45 my cousin came to see grandpa and was able to take grandma home. About 15 minutes after they left. The transfer ambulance showed up to take grandpa over to Moanalua Hospital.

The brand new ER over there just opened at 2:30 in the morning. the poor nurses were running around trying to find everything. And the new ER is HUGE!!! One of the nurses joked about dropping bread crumbs so that they would be able to found their way back. Through this all grandpa did really well. He was breathing fine after they suctioned him within the first 20 minutes of being at Castle ER. They were really concerned because he was dehydrated. That has been a concern of mine but it;s hard to get him to drink enough water anyways but doubly hard now that he is sleeping more. Plus hallucinating and agitated more often then not when he is not sleeping. They also found that he has pneumonia but that doesn't seem to concern them as much as the dehydration and his very low blood pressure.

As of today he is doing very well. They admitted him to the hospital that night. My uncle and cousin brought my grandma and the car. They stayed a hour or so then I forced grandma to go home. Which was good because I didn't get home until 11:30 that night. We have decided to have grandpa have a feeding tube which will really help with his dehydration problem. So we don't exactly know when grandpa will be out of the hospital. Hopefully soon.

Then of course there is grandma's surgery on Friday. Tomorrow is her pre-op. Then Friday is the surgery. The recovery isn't suppose to be bad but you never know with grandma.

So that is my crazy life right now. A whole lot of hospital. So far it's been 3 days straight of all day at the hospital. Without a end in sight for now. Yesterday a friend kidnapped me for lunch for a couple hours. That was so needed. Thank you Angela! It wouldn't be so hard but it's not like I can just concentrate on grandpa. I have to care for grandma as well. At times having to just bite my tongue at things she does. Oh well. That's life. At least my life.

3 comments:

keao said...

oh Joy. what a rough week. As I read this, i do get concerned. Are you equipped for this role? It seems like such a huge undertaking...even a little much for the most patient and enduringly optimistic person I know.
I hope I get to see you at the chick flick night although it's the night right before your grandma's surgery

Joy said...

I wouldn't say I'm so much equipped but available. It's been kinda deal as we go along. God has been very faithful in giving me grace for the moment. Actually my hardest struggle is grandma and all the various dramas that go on there. But we're doing good. Taking it day by day.

Not sure what I'll be able to do. I've been staying at the hospital until at least 9 each night to make sure grandpa is settled. That helps him and also gives grandma peace. So that's what I do. Maybe we can do lunch sometime. Unfortunately you would have to come out to the hospital. Don't feel that you have to :) BTW did you get the text message I sent yesterday?

Scott Sunaoka said...

hang in there joy! you're doing such a good thing for your grandparents and you're an inspiration to us all. but i am glad you got to come to the wedding on saturday. it was a pleasure having you around.