Thursday, June 19, 2008

It's getting kind of stuffy in here, smells sorta funky too. Like monkeys at the zoo...

Yesterday I posted a blog and on the bottom I put a video of the turtles my family have. If you haven’t read Scott’s comments you really should. It’s really bad that it makes me laugh but they do. His comment reminded me of a incident that happened years ago. When we lived on the Big Island we had mice for pets. Lots of mice. At one time I think we had around 50 of those little guys. We would sell them back to the pet store fromtime to time. Well by the time we left the Big Island they were all gone. I don’t remember if they had all died or we sold them to the pet shop all I remember is that we no longer had any. Fast forward about 2 years. We had discovered a wild mouse in the house. Through the use of brown paper bags we caught the mouse. We decided to keep it. Like I said we (us kids) decided, dad was a harder sell. We begged and begged and finally dad gave in. After we had it for a little bit and I was going to move him into a bigger cage. I had both the bigger cage and the cage with the mouse in it outside. I was tipping the smaller cage cage into the bigger cage when the mouse jumped. It jumped about a foot from midair and got loose. A bunch of neighbor kids were around and so we all tried to catch the mouse. Well the mouse was heading right for dad and so dad put his foot down, to as he says ‘block and redirect’. I guess either the mouse was going faster then he thought or dad’s reflexes weren't particularly fast that day. Yup you guessed it he squished the mouse. I think there is still a grease spot where it happened. Needless to say we were all upset and dad’s name was mud for awhile.

As if my house wasn't a zoo enough we add in a bunch of pets. I was thinking of all the different pets we've had over the years. There have been many. Many, many different pets. So far it’s been:
  • 2 guinea pigs
  • tons of mice
  • 4 turtles
  • a rabbit
  • 2 cockatoos
  • a bunch of parakeets
  • lots of fish
  • 2 dogs
  • 3 cats
  • a horse
  • 4 ferrets
  • at least 30 hamsters
  • a gerbil
  • 2 lizards
  • a squirrel
  • a canary
  • and a sugar glider
Like I said a zoo!

Here's a picture of my mom's sugar glider, Charlie in case you don't know what a sugar glider is

4 comments:

keao said...

hi joy...

...missed you so much yesterday. your family really is zoo. thank you for putting the caption for the glider. It just looks like a rat with a mutant tail.

Scott Sunaoka said...

i hate to break this to you, but those weren't pet mice, that's an infestation. your parents just didn't want to tell you guys that your house had a small rodent problem (and by small i really mean massive).

Joy said...

I'm really bummed that I missed all the fun. I'm glad you guys had fun though.

I know my family is kinda crazy but that's why I love them.

Charlie looks kinda different when you hold him. He has these extra flaps of skin that he uses to 'glide'on his sides. Did you see his blad head? the males lose the fur on the top of the head when they mature. I always think that it's so funny that these poor little guys suffer from male pattern baldness.

You know Scott maybe that's why we always seemed to have so many mice in the cages. They didn't have babies, their buddies just climbed in to join them. Actually the only wild mouse we had was the grease stain one.

Unknown said...

hi Joy guess what I got a new job. I'm helping a lady who has a springer spaniel rescue . She asked if I could help out with watching the dogs once a month while she goes to dog shows. I get to take care of 11 dogs this weekend. This is only the second day I finally have all of their names right. I'm still cleaning as well we will have to talk on the cell soon. I miss you