Friday, August 1, 2008

Oops I did it again...

Yup once again I missed a birthday. This time it's my sister's Rena. So to you Rena I sing... happy birthday to youuuuu!


I have always loved birthdays. They were always so special. Maybe it's because that with such a large family like I have it's nice to have at least one day where you are the special one. You wake up and everyone wishes you "Happy Birthday". They are especially nice to you. We never had to do chores on our birthday. We got to have our favorite meals. Then there was always the presents from everyone. Cake and ice cream of our choice. And as we got older we always did the birthday sleepovers with all the girlfriends. Love birthdays! I will say though that I have had some that haven't been so fun.

I can remember one year my birthday fell in the same week as V.B.S. at our church. Though now that I think about most of my birthdays fell in the same week as V.B.S. But I digress. This particular year I, for some reason, didn't have a specific job. I was just a floating helper. That's unusual for me. Usually I'm in the thick of it. But not this year. Well on the day of my birth that year it rained... and rained... and rained. Now our house was built after WWII for a crippled war veteran and like most old houses it has it's quirks. One quirk is that the main sewer line that ties our house to the main city sewer line is made of terra cotta and is of course the same age of the house. Our neighborhood has a nice tree lawn. Which makes for a picturesque neighborhood but does horrible things to terra cotta sewer lines. You see the trees send out these hair-like roots in search of water. Over years these roots can find or make little holes in whatever they find that stands in the way of the water they want. It's quite amazing if you think about it... unless you think about what hair or hair-like roots do to drains. Yup you guessed it. Nasty!!! So lucky me, the only one who didn't have something that she absolutely do that night, got to stay home and clean up the basement. Which had about six inches in some areas nasty, disgusting, you-know-what-water. Luckily dad was able to snake it but I still had to mop up a bunch of bucketfuls. We had a carpet in one area that got wet so I had to drag that out to the trash by myself. Do you know how heavy wet carpet can be??? Then I had to disinfect everything. I had just finished when everybody came home, of course. I can't remember exactly how long I stayed in the shower, but it was a long time. I think I went through a bar of soap! Thankfully most birthdays aren't like that.

3 comments:

Scott Sunaoka said...

i love birthdays too. hooray for birthdays! this year i will be at shea stadium for my birthday. hooray for shea stadium!!!

keao said...

hah, scott made some comment about how you must love birthdays because there was one every week in your house growing up.

Miss you Joy. I'm going to go to Zumba at church on Monday at 9 am if you can free up an hour.

Joy said...

Miss you too! Hopefully see you soon. It's been too long.

You're not all that far off. In the summer months it can be a little crazy.

So glad you get do something fun for your birthday Scott. I can see that you are pretty calm about the whole thing. How long will you guys be gone for?