Monday, May 5, 2008

All you need to know is you're home...

So far I've been here for 3 and 1/2 days. It's been so good to be back in my mainland home. It hasn't been quite as crazy as last time. I'm glad about that, I don't think I could survive another one like that.

The mountains by Salt Lake City, Utah

My welcome home sign

The first night I was here some of my siblings took me swing dancing with friends. They have a regular dance the first Friday of the month. It was fun though I couldn't remember much of the steps other then the basic steps.

My sisters Melody and Katy and my almost sister Jillian

My sister Chrissy and her boyfriend Graham

My sister Chrissy and brother Josh tangoing (is that a word? If not it is now)

Josh spinning Katy or at least I hope that is what that is

Graham and Jillian

Melody and Josh

Saturday I got up surprisingly early considering I went to bed around 2 and I didn't get much sleep the night before. And it was a wet and rainy morning, perfect for sleeping in. Though after a hour I fell back to sleep on my parents bed for about 2 and a half hours. When I got up again my parents were back after doing some things in the morning and we decided to go out for lunch. On the way back from lunch I remembered something that happened the night before when I was going to sleep. The toilet gurgled which might sound weird to you but for us that usually means something not good. You see our house was made back in the 50's and the sewer pipe going out to the main sewer pipe is made of field tile. Outside we have a beautiful maple tree that has some bad habits. Every once in awhile the tree will send out roots looking for water and it seems to like the water it finds in the pipe. Well, the roots are like hundreds of hairs clogging the pipe and unfortunately that means that the gross sewer water backs up into the basement. So the usual procedure is to go and rent a drain snake and snake out the pipe. Dad and I got the snake and we were thankfully we were finished in about an hour. After we finished with that, took the snake back and got cleaned up I hit the mall with my mom and some of the sis's. We were on the hunt for flower girl dresses for my sister Rena's wedding. Thankfully the wedding won't be until next spring. When we got out of the mall we discovered that the sun had come out and though it was still chilly (for me) it had turned into a really nice afternoon.

Some lilacs in the sun

Sunday started all bright and beautiful. Church was great. A little weird to be going Sunday mornings again. It was funny my sister came in and there was a crowd of people in the hallway when she asked what was going on she was told that it was her sister causing a stir. A friend asked that night how it felt to be a celebrity. After church a bunch of us went out to eat to celebrate my friend Connie's birthday. I think there was about 20 of us and the staff at the restaurant almost had a heart attack because we weren't the only large group to come in that day! After a great lunch it was back home then service again in the evening. I got to see my cousins 3 week old baby, Nadia. She is just precious. Then I got to hold my other cousin, who is about 9 months and rock him to sleep. It took some doing but I was finally able to get him to go down. He fought it tooth and nail. After service we headed to my friends Rebecca and Gareth's place for games and Ice Cream Sundaes. Yummy. I had waaaaaay to much and felt sick to my stomach for a little while. My Aunty took home my cousin's baby when she went so my cousin was able to come hang out with us for a little bit. Yea!

Some of the lunch bunch: My sister Rena, Gareth, brother-in-law David, sister Katy, Jillian, Shannon, Rebecca, sister Angeline, sister Dara, Faye

I love that once you hit 62 you become a kid again!

Rena

Melody, Rena, cousin Hannah, Josh all squished in the back seat. I think Josh is squished more then everyone else judging by the look on his face

4 comments:

keao said...

wow, you have so much family. I mean I know you have a lot, but the the pictures kind of make it hit home. Keep writing, I love reading all about your home and family. It's like you're still here with us. = )

Scott Sunaoka said...

nice pics joy (especially the one with the flowers). i noticed you got a new camera but there weren't any of you on the dance floor!!! thanks for sharing pictures of your other family with us.

Anonymous said...

holy moly you have a humongous family! Like how many of them are there?

Joy said...

There's 10 of us kids so plus my parents there's 12 of us. Like you said humungous!