Saturday, January 16, 2010

Angeline

As per usual it has been quite awhile since my last post. In fact my last post was last year. Not that last year was all that long ago. But still, it's time for a new post.

I've been thinking about what to post for a little bit now. I was thinking of doing some of my favorite pictures again. Or my year in pictures. Or just randomness. But then I thought about what my last post was on. I thought about how I have never tried to draw a picture of my siblings with words before. I thought that might be interesting. So starting now, for the next little while I will post on my siblings. Bragging on them in my own small way. I don't know if i can do them justice but I want to share how much they mean to me.

My family has some interesting natural...uh...for lack of a better word, 'breaks' in it. The top tier was 'The Older Girls' which was my oldest sister Angeline (#1), then my sister Dara (#2), then myself (#3). The next tier was 'The Girls' which consisted of my sister Melody (#4), my sister Chrissy (#5), my sister Rena (#6). Now my youngest sister Katy (#8) has been added to 'The Girls' group. Then there was 'The Kids' which was my sister Rena (#6), my brother Josh (#7), and my sister Katy (#8). Seven years after Katy was born the first of 'The Boys', Joe (#9). Joe (#9) and Jon (#10) round out the group. They are 'The Boys'. Don't ask me how or why it was, it just was. I said all that to kinda explain the family dynamic. How we interacted with each other growing up.

As mentioned paragraph above though my whole family is very close, at times we were closer to some more then the others. My sisters Angeline and Dara were my closest siblings growing up. It wasn't the age "closer" it was liking to hang out together "closer" We were the Three Amigos. We did alot together. Hanging out. Talking about life. Trying to figure who we are. What we were supposed to be and do.

Though Angeline bore the brunt of responsibility of oldest child there was alot that the three of us shared. Setting good examples. Doing the majority of the chores. Lots and lots of babysitting. Putting the fear of God (and mom and dad) into the younger ones. We were the enforcers, the peacemakers, the trailblazers, the game-makers, the imagineers, the guinea pigs. I love my parents and am very thankful for the way they raised me. But like every parent they had to learn as they went along. In all things there is trial and error. Let's just say we were the ones who mellowed mom and dad for the younger ones.

I think it's only right to start the series with the one who started it all in my family. My oldest sister Angeline. I really admire my sister. She has been there for me so many times and in so many different ways. She is a amazing person. So very beautiful. She pulled alot more of the exotic looks then I did. Alright I can face it, I got none of the exotic in my family. But it's more then just the way she looks, she is truly a beautiful woman inside and out. Her character matches her outer beauty. Strong and confident. Funny. Very empathetic but she will tell you exactly how it is. Resolute. But she also understands the necessity of compromise. Courageous and brave. That's my Angie.

My sister is also so very talented. After graduating she worked for about a year then went off on the road. She went with a ministry group called Covenant Players. They traveled all over the country using drama and music as a ministry tool in churches, schools, prisons and bases. She memorized many skits and plays, some being just monologues. One time she was back at our church with her team and she was right in the middle of a monologue when this great commotion broke out. Out of nowhere a little girl in the 3rd or 4th pew right in the middle got sick. Let's just say it wasn't fountains of living water coming out of her. The mother took her out while a brigade of deacons and ushers assisted the dad in clean up. Through it all my sister continued, not missing a beat. Talk about showmanship. I don't remember the play but I do remember that.

Not only did she do plays but she was apart of a elite group of singers. Not surprising for me as she has a gorgeous singing voice. I remember her telling me about not being sure if she could make it into the group. But, of course, she did. The last year she was in the group she was also a team leader. Everything that could possibly go wrong for a team happened to her that tour. From a team member getting seriously sick to van break downs and no funds to fix it. Hearing now what she went through then is astounding and I marvel at her faith and faithfulness to the call on her life then. But that isn't the only time she has left all that is familiar to follow God's call on her. She ministered in Nepal for 2 years. Working with the women there, some of those were rescued out of prostitution. Prostitution not of their own choice but prostitution that was forced on them. She went into orphanages. Loving the children there. She assisted the local churches there and would minister to those found along the river. Many of whom were considered of a lower caste, thought of as untouchable. Through all this she was learned the culture and language.

A couple of months before she went to Nepal she and David, my brother-in-law, started to date. They went through her whole tour only seeing each other in person once. And that being when he came over to visit her and propose. She got back and had to adjust to being back in this culture and back in our family, plan her wedding that was happening a little over 2 months later when in a freak accident she broke her leg. That's right, broke her leg. So much for those fancy high heels. She, in fact, wasn't sure if she could even walk down the aisle. There was all sorts of discussions of how she could get down that aisle. Talk of go karts, a horse, a remote controlled car thingy, a red wagon. My favorite was a sedan chair. Maybe just be because it was my idea. But none of those were needed because the day arrived and she was able to go with just having dad on one side and a crutch on the other. When my sister makes a decision she works very hard to fulfill it. She has been such a example of a strong Christian women. Not just in her faith but in who she is personally. She exemplifies for me what a real woman is suppose to be, not perfect but always trying to be the woman God made her to be. She doesn't rest on past victories. She continues to look for what God has next for her. There is so much I could say but I'll end it here. You are and will continue to be my hero. I love you Ange!

1 comment:

Scott Sunaoka said...

i think you painted a wonderful word picture of your sister. it really show how much you love and look up to her. i can't wait to see the rest of the word pictures you'll create.